Birth Story: Anders Simon Rowley


Now that Anders is 9 weeks old, today, I figured it was time to write his birth story!

Anders Simon(my grandparents’ last name) Rowley
June 22, 2015
7lb. 1oz.
20 3/4in long
Greenville Memorial Hospital

It was a Sunday and I just finished my last day of work the day before. I was 39 weeks on the dot and I was sure he wasn’t coming out anytime soon. We had just moved houses at 36 weeks pregnant and Dave and I tiled our dining room at 37 weeks. I wouldn’t recommend that, btw. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I figured if he hadn’t dropped out with all the physical labor I was doing, then he was chillin in there for another 3 months. Honestly, the last 2 months of pregnancy are my best and I really didn’t mind one way or the other. Granted, I still had morning sickness if I didn’t take my meds so thank goodness for those!

Sunday morning I started realizing that I was having contractions. They were 5-7 minutes apart but I didn’t know if this was the real deal. I hadn’t one contraction or Braxton-Hicks before then, that I was aware of, so I thought, “well, maybe?” I was out getting curtain rods and stuff for our guest bedroom and Dave was home putting together the beds upstairs. I’m telling you, moving is not for the faint of heart but I LOVE our new house so I don’t complain. I’m so happy to have more space and for everything to have a place!

Dave knew I was having contractions but I didn’t want to make it a huge deal because no one likes the-boy-who-cried-wolf. And this was my second kid, so surely I would know when I was really in labor. Ha! Mid afternoon they were still consistent and getting stronger so I made sure Dave had his bag packed and had my girlfriend on high alert in the event she needed to come get the boys. Well, at 5pm I decided to have her pick them up because I knew we were having this baby sooner rather than later. Dave and I went to dinner as our last “hoorah” before becoming a family of 5. YIKES!

IMG_2716ย IMG_2717


At dinner I decided to call the midwife to see if I should come into the hospital because my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and I was having to breath through them. And I was not about to have a baby in the car! We get to the hospital at 7:30pm and she checked me to see how far along I was. 2CM.


Like, barely anything.

I could have died knowing how much longer I had to go.

These contractions are not fun and I have 8 more CM!?!? Unbelievable. We decided to go home and wait it out for a while because I was not about to be there any longer than I had to. Being THAT girl in room 210 who thinks shes in labor but really is just getting started. Ugh.

We get home and every contraction all I kept thinking was:




Probably not the best mental pep-talk a girl in labor could have.

Also, they tell you the second labor is faster and thank God for that because 33 hours with Graham was no joke- 30 of which I did with no pain meds. But I was sure not this time. You hear all these stories about people walking in at 10CM and barely in pain and popping out the baby 30 minutes later.

I am not that story. Sad times!

At 1:30AM we got back to the hospital and all I was praying was that I could be at 5CM so I could just get the meds. JUST GIVE ME THE MEDS!

The doctor came in and told me I was 5CM!! I cried. Cried. Like a baby. I was so tired and those contractions HURT. Way more than they did with Graham. At least from what I remember…

They wheeled me back to my room-fast-and got me my epidural. Praise Jesus! It takes a few contractions after it is in to really kick in. Well, a few contractions in I noticed it only numbed one side.

And I thought, I’ve heard of this. Don’t panic Andrea. DO NOT PANIC!ย 

The nurse came back in and I calmly said, “I think it is only numbing my right side.” She told me it usually goes to one side first, the side I was laying on, and she evened me out and the next few contractions numbed all over. SHEW! Dodged. That. Bullet.

At 5AM, they came in to check me and I was fully dilated and ready to go!!

5:15AM Anders made his entrance! Screaming.

And I thought, Oh my. Here we go. I forgot what they said about the second kid…that they are nothing like the first.





And he has been nothing like Graham. It took a while for him to calm down and he screamed anytime they came in to do something to him. Easy going is not how I would describe him. High maintenance is his middle name.






Graham ADORES his baby brother!!IMG_2813



He is a momma’s boy I think? Until he realizes how cool Daddy is and then I will be kicked to the curb. ๐Ÿ˜‰ For the first month of his life he had to be on me or touching me at all times. I wish I was kidding. At night. During the day. I’ve never been so tired. And I was really starting to think that I would be this tired for the rest of my life.

But now he is pretty much sleeping through the night but the hours of 5-10pm are not fun. He is ready to party and not! His crying seems to be subsiding and his tummy issues seem to be lessening, poor guy. So I am realllyy hoping things are on the up and up. His sleep “schedule” is still very unpredictable during the day and I am just trying to roll with the punches on that one. It’s sad that on the rare day he does sleep after every feeding that I wonder if something is wrong with him. Sigh.

Welcome to Round 2 of motherhood. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. A lot of you have asked if we still have our foster baby. We do not. He is with another family until he goes back to his parents in the next month or 2. More on that later! But we are glad we made that decision and our stress level has gone down immensely, which we needed.



Leave a Reply